Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Mishap

I got hit by a scooter today.
I was riding my bicycle to work and stopped to cross one of the busy intersections on the way. The traffic going one way was completely clear, the traffic going the other was backed up and at a standstill. So, after looking both ways, I decided to cross, but a scooter, who had decided to bypass all the other traffic by driving on the shoulder of the road crashed into me. It wasn’t enough force to do any serious damage (I hope), but enough to elicit a yelp from me, knock me to the ground, cause my shoes to fall off, and knock my old lady purse out of my old lady basket. The driver was friendly enough it seemed, he picked up my purse and made sure I was okay. On my part, feeling very flustered, I did the same and said I was very sorry. (I later found out that because he is the larger vehicle, he was fully responsible and would have had to pay for any damage or any hospital care. Lucky for him he hit a foreigner who didn’t know any better, and didn’t even know how to ask for any personal information!!)
I’m okay…a little bit sore and bruised and shaken up, but nothing worse than that. I was told by several of my students and the Japanese staff not to take a hot bath, (the exact thing I was looking forward to), but to put cold compresses where it hurts. One of the students went as far as to go to the drugstore herself and buy me the compresses. I guess when Mom isn’t around students are the next best thing! 
Bec

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I officially love your students.

Jono and Janice said...

Glad to hear that it wasn't more serious. If you see that guy again, make sure you get his number.

Rachel said...

eek. glad you are ok!