Thursday, June 12, 2008

A post from Rod

Cousin John's blog about his co-workers has inspired me to post a blog regarding my work.

I have been landscaping for the past few months and have learned one thing clearly: people have very strong opinions about their trees.

Last week I was working with a fellow by the name of Brendan in downtown Kingston. We were working on the front walkway and garden of a smallish house located steps from the sidewalk on a fairly busy street. Now I always hate working in such conditions, because of the nagging feeling that I am somehow on display.

Part of the work that we were to accomplish was the removal of a number of plants, including the centerpiece tree, a rather large magnolia. The tree looked healthy enough, and apparently flowered beautifully in the springtime, but was unremarkable looking by most accounts. Near the end of the day while we were working on laying out some flagstone for the front walkway an elderly lady shuffled up. She was well dressed, prim and proper looking with white hair and a pleasant face. She stopped on the sidewalk in front of us, glanced at the garden, then to the truck where the withered magnolia lay discarded, and quickly her gaze fell to us.

"You cut the magnolia down," it sounded more like an accusation than a question.

"Yes, the owners thought that it was growing too large for the garden..." Brendan began his explanation...

"I HATE you," she flung at us, the wisps of an English accent adding venom to her interjection.

Unsure whether to laugh or cry, we looked at each other as we slightly cringed under the shadow of this five foot octogenarian, waiting for the half-expected blow of her well-laden purse. Brendan tried in vain to plead our case, citing how it wasn't our decision to cut the tree; but it was of no use.

"You're a heartless pair," she scolded, as she turned and marched down the street.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how you capture the moment in your descriptions of the place and people around you. I'm still waiting to see your name in print as a freelance photographer for a travel magazine - now I will also look forward to an fabulous description to go along with it.

Jen said...

LOL, too funny. Reminds me of a woman the other day whom I served at Kelsey's who scolded me for our lack of tomatos (due to the recall) and said that we should be buying Canadian tomatos... Right, because I, a lowly server, make the purchasing decisions for a multi-million dollar company like Kelsey's! :)
You have to admit, though, it is a shame! :(

BvO said...

Thoroughly enjoyable post.