Saturday, June 11, 2011

The RunAround

I always enjoy it when things that are actually on my grocery list go on sale. This past week, such was the case with baby wipes. They were on for half-price, which, combined with the coupons I had (Yes, I use coupons) was going to give me a steal of a deal. Very exciting.
So, I made a special trip to the grocery store, grateful to finally fill up my depleted reserves. I went down the wipes aisle, noticed the bright tags advertising the sale price and……they were gone. All of them. I looked up and down, over and across. None. I looked for a large display. Nada. I looked for an associate. I found one in the dairy and, acknowledging that it wasn’t his department, asked if even so perhaps he had some wipes in the back? He didn’t. I thanked him, and went to the check-out with my few purchases. I asked the cashier if she knew how long the sale would last, and if by any chance I could take a raincheck? “No” on both counts. But, she called another associate and asked if he knew of any.
Happy day! - A large display by the dairy section. How could I have missed it?
With her permission, I left my purchases with her and rolled my way to the far end of the store. I looked. No wipes. Was I blind?
“Over there,” an associate pointed for me.
I looked. Why couldn’t I see it?
He pointed again. “Over there.”
I must have looked like I needed an awful lot of help, because he came over to me and pointed me to the massive display. (All seven feet high and fifteen feet across and five feet across of it.)
“That’s pop.” I blurted out.
“Yeah,” he answered. “What were you looking for?”
“Baby wipes.”
“Oh. They’re over here.” And he walked me to the wipes aisle.
“Well. They should be here,” he said. “They must be out. Sorry.”
Back to the cashier.
“Did you find them?” she asked.
“No,” I answered. “He misunderstood.”
“Oh,” she responded, “let me look.”
She left her station and went to the wipes aisle.
She came back with the final verdict: “No wipes - we’re all out.”

2 comments:

MomNettie said...

Unless it says "limited supply" on the advertised specials - most of the other grocery stores will match the prices of other fulltime grocery stores. (Our NoFrills won't match Zellers advertised prices because it's not a grocery store, it's a department store that sells groceries.)

ABCSteed said...

Walmart matches prices too, but they don't combine price matching with coupons... if wipes go on sale somewhere else, NoFrills will match AND you can use coupons, so they are my favourite place.