By Bec
I was in an accident last night. I'm still pretty shaken up about the whole thing, and am still trying to process it all, but there were no injuries, for which I am very grateful.
It was supposed to be a boys weekend away...they were all in their car, driving up north for the night. I was driving our car to a friend's house for some of my own girl time. At the corner of Hess and Herkimer I stopped at the stop sign, and then proceeded. The next thing I knew there were bright lights, a huge smash, and my car had been hit. A T-bone.
I sat there stunned for a few seconds, turned off the car, and got out to make sure the other driver was okay. She (and her 3 kids) were; her car was not. Her front was all smashed up, my car was fine except for the passenger front tire and frame was bent inward at about a 45 degree angle. The police were called, Rod and his entourage of friends were called, and so began a night of flashing lights, police reports, waiting for tow trucks, and trying to stay warm in -25 degree weather.
The situation was (and is) less than ideal. Despite this, I felt incredibly surrounded by blessings. Because Rod had just left, he and the boys were able to be there quite quickly (and I really did need a hug). The place where it happened was a block away from friends' house and the boys' house, so we had access to as many blankets as we could think of. Local homeowners came out to see what they could do to help, called the police and directed traffic. An older gentlman came out and brought us all tea and coffee to keep us warm. There were no injuries. The other driver, a lady, turned out to be a wonderfully sweet woman and even gave me several hugs and kisses on the forehead and cheek. The police-lady was incredibly kind, and gave me a ride to my friend's house so I wouldn't have to walk.
I spent most of last night shaking, partially from the cold, and partially from the shock. I'm still a bit shaky. I went to bed exhausted, and yet spent most of the night reliving the intense noise of the smashing of cars, the grinding of metal on metal, and the tinkling of broken car pieces, and wondering about the should-haves, the what-ifs, and the now-whats.
To Dan, Sam, Rob J, and Stevie G....thank you for all your help and kindness. It can't be repaid. And Praise God for safety and His blessings.
4 comments:
Thank God you're alright, Rebecca. Nicole and I are very grateful for the fact you emerged with little injury. We hope to see you soon, but thanks for giving us the story and keeping us up to date!
See you soon, and if you're bored we're only a short drive from the hammer...
I'm glad that you're okay, and that you can already see the blessings. I've been losing my perspective of late and all that's happened is that my contract job will be ending next month and I'm a little under the weather.
But I think God must know what he's about, although waiting patiently while in transition is tough. I certainly did not live this patient trust today, so I think I can learn a lot from your response to this difficult, traumatic circumstance.
Glad you're okay, and it's wonderful that there were so many helpful people that day. What a horrible thing, though.
Hey Bec,
Glad you're OK and everything worked out despite the shock of it all. Good thing Rod was able to get there so fast.
Kiwotsukete! (Take care!)
Mark
Post a Comment