Thursday, March 22, 2007

Worship in “The Wind in the Willows"

By Bec
The following passage from the classic “children’s book” made me question whether I – or any of us, really - know what it is like to wonder, to worship, to be in the presence of an Almighty and Holy God.

"Then suddenly the Mole felt a great Awe fall upon him, an awe that turned his muscles to water, bowed his head, and rooted his feet to the ground. It was no panic terror – indeed he felt wonderfully at peace and happy – but it was an awe that smote and held him and, without seeing, he knew it could only mean some August presence was very, very near. With difficulty he turned to look for his friend, and saw him at his side cowed, stricken, and trembling violently.
“Rat!” he found breath to whisper, shaking.” Are you afraid?”
“Afraid?” murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love. “Afraid! Of Him? O never, never! And yet – and yet – O Mole, I am afraid!”
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship."

6 comments:

John Vroegryk said...

I'm sorry to say guys but this descibes being indoctrinated (brainwashed) to a "T"

Anonymous said...

John: I feel incredibly sad for your children and grandchildren. And incredibly proud of Bec & Rod. They and their children (and my grandchildren) have/will have an Anchor to cling to through life. What a blessing.
-- Nettie.

John Vroegryk said...

Please don't feel sad, because your sadness is not genuine.

John Vroegryk said...

Nettie, your sadness is based on presumption.
When I read about a Mole and a Rat who proclaim to be horrified for no reason, my first question was; what would cause someone to be scared of something that only exist in their imagination ?
Since it is clearly stated that we’re dealing with a book for children, and I know that children don’t question whether Moles are Rats can Think, Reason or have Emotions, these animals might as well be People.
Given this information, something popped into my mind, ( Yes, I have this desire to understand and question, and not simply take other peoples “pre-chewed and regurgitated” one way view of things) this children’s book could be the foundation being laid for future “brainwashing”, “planting the seed or cultivating the mind” so to speak.
So Nettie, please understand that my comment was strictly a personal observation and nothing more, and most definitely was not written to offend anybody.
You write in your comment that you are incredibly proud of Bec & Rod, and so you should be, for you and Art and your kids are some of the nicer people I’ve had the pleasure to meet.
Please grant me “the benefit of the doubt” and keep the possibility open that I may not be that evil………. Thanks !
John

Rod and Bec said...

John, I just wrote you a response, but decided it was best delivered via email.
Rod

John Vroegryk said...

Rod, an answer to your response also per e-mail.
John