Thursday, May 14, 2009

Gideon's Toys

Gideon has many toys - a basket full of "real" toys - all of which have been gifts. While I am very thankful for these toys, I am also a firm believer that almost anything is a toy as long as it is relatively safe (which in itself is a relative term). Pencils and pens keep him busy for quite some time, as does paper - none of which are used for drawing so much as eating. Pots and bowls are very exciting for him - shiny and noisy. He likes to play with screwdrivers and spoons (both metal and wooden). He loves our phones (cell and landline) - who wouldn't love beeps and lights? His (many pairs of) shoes that he has yet to grow into have also been known to occupy him for long periods of time, and socks are just the bees knees. Chairs, laundry baskets, keys and his nose aspirators are among his favourites. But one of his absolute favourites is the granola bar. It's perfect: it's shiny, it crinkles, it has great texture, it can fit well into his hand, he can chew it without getting into the goodness that is inside - it's good, clean fun!
On a recent trip home from Ottawa (see previous post) we stopped in to visit my cousin; she served us mini chocolate bars - mint chocolate and delicious, if you must know. I asked if I could keep the one Gideon had been drooling on for the last 20 minutes: it seemed to have kept him occupied - a granola bar substitute. My cousin gladly obliged. I'm not sure she would have wanted it back anyway, to be quite honest.
We drove home in the dark. Gideon was sleeping quietly in the backseat, for which we were thankful.
We arrived home, just in time to start putting him "officially" to bed. I'm sure you know where I'm going with this.

Our boy had not so much been sleeping as learning how to suck now melted chocolate through a small opening he had made. Apparently it was a new found skill that he quite enjoyed.

2 comments:

JvO said...

He looks very happy to have discovered chocolate. I can't say that I blame him! Life will never be the same.

John den Boer said...

I will point out the obvious and say that his hair is very red.

Gideon's fascination with granola wrappers can only mean one thing. Someone should do a study to find out what that thing is.