Sunday, May 02, 2010

Uh Oh....PSsssssss

Renovations have started again...or did they never quite stop? Our most recent project involved fixing up the hallway - more specifically, under the stairs.
"I thought you already did that?" one might be tempted to ask.
Yes...we did...sort of. We had fixed up the most used part of the hallway, and left under the stairs as a project for "later." I was getting pretty used to averting my eyes from the ugly part of the hall and keeping them fixed on the rest of the house. But, quite truthfully, it was ugly. In our enthusiasm for fixing the hall last year, we recklessly started ripping wallpaper off everywhere, willy-nilly. It wasn't until well into our ripping project that we realized just how many layers that were (fourteen) and just how stubborn they were (more stubborn than we). So we gave up. The floor was a mixture of the original pine and plywood, a good three centimetres lower than the rest of the hall.
It is a small little space, oddly shaped, and yet it had potential for being useful; we finally decided it was time to do something about it. Rod had a few days off in the winter, so we figured it was the most logical time to start. Our "little" project quickly became something bigger, as most tend to do.
Down came the drywall. Across the attic/crawl space went some wiring. Down came some wires. Down came the stairs...
And then life got very, very busy for some reason.
After a while...at it we went again. By "we" I mean Rod. G did his part: every morning/nap time when he came out of his room, he was quick to point out that "Uh oh, PSssssss." That means a mess, apparently.
Up went the drywall. Up went the paint. Down went new flooring - including a spiffy new trapdoor that Rod made. And then one night when I was away for the evening: up went the stairs - hooray! (It had been over a month.) Up went new lighting. Up went some shelving. And then...it was done.
So here I sit, in our little office nook. Loving it.

Before:
This is what it looked like when we bought it, before any work was done:

The next two pictures are of under the stairs specifically, as it was when we bought it.


Unfortunately I don't have any of how it looked in the "in-between" stage.

During:




After:

5 comments:

Jono and Janice said...

WOW! It looks great!

Karen said...

It does! Congrats on having it DONE. I don't like long drawn-out renos either; unfortunately there are still some things to be done that we avert our eyes from as well :)

Suzanne said...

I agree! Such a nice little nook for a desk!

Dawn M said...

Yay, well done and how fabulous it looks - NEXT a hand rail for the S C A R Y stairs...
Thanks again for the wonderful visit...I had every intention of sending a "Thank You" card for your hospitality...however, it doesn't seem to be very forthcoming...so I'll just say thank you thank you thank you!!

Love Dawn

Archie and Reta said...

well done son!!! you make a dad proud. Don't forget to leave a little something to do for when you retire:) You'll never be all done so enjoy the journey.
dad B