Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Odds 'n' Ends

Naomi had a midwife check-up last week; she was weighed and was well over 10 lbs. That means she gained a pound in two weeks. Good job.

I was able to go to a Sarah Harmer concert this past week. (Thank you, M.) Two thoughts on that: 1) I left both children at home (for the first time) for three hours. It felt odd. But nice.
2) Sarah Harmer has a beautiful voice.

The opening band for Sarah Harmer was a band from Saint John's. It made me think about and miss our dear friends, Sam Squared. Hello to you two, if you are reading this, and a big hug to you, too.

Speaking of "two:" I have had two kids sick for the past two weeks. I am now part of that club. I should add, though, that things are starting to improve.

We are still working on the toilet training. It is best described as a "process," but I would say that G has made and is making great strides.
On that note, I would like to mention his rewards - completely by his choosing. We tried using stickers, but after a few days he just wasn't excited about them. Now, for going #1 on the toilet, he gets two pieces of toilet paper. He gets to put it wherever he wants - in the toilet, in the garbage, or to blow his nose. Yippee.
For going #2 on the toilet, he gets to use Special Pooping Soap. That's the code word for liquid soap - a part of a wedding gift from more than five years ago that we forgot about and that has since been sitting in a box. Hoorah.
Pretty healthy choices for rewards, I would say.

Little known fact: When infants simultaneously poop and sneeze, the poop is projectile.

On a recent trip, the following conversation took place between myself and a (very) cranky G:
G: Shoes. Off.
Me: Yes, your shoes may come off.
G: Socks. Off.
Me: Sure. Go ahead.
G: Toes. Off.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I might have laughed out loud at the poop-n-sneeze sentence.

Thanks for a good laugh at 6am :)

(I was changing Zara's diaper 2 years ago. Just as I opened it, removed it, and was about to put another one on, she clenched and peed and there was pee EVERYWHERE.)

JvO said...

Who knew that toilet paper could be so exciting to get?! Good job on letting him choose his own rewards - it's funny to get a little angle into his head - what he thinks is cool.... :)

Samantha said...

I might have to echo the comment about the sneeze'n'poop. I was at work and when I read I laughed out loud which meant I had to explain it to my co-worker...she laughed too!

We are sending love and hugs your was also!