It's been very nice, although whether I like the book or not, I tend to get so into it that less work gets done. I do find it hard to stop.
Here is a brief run-down of my summer reading so far:
Hope in a Jar
I would put it, at best, at mediocre. It was quite a bit like a chick-flick, except in written form....where really, you know exactly how it will end one chapter in.
Mary Poppins
Not at all like the Disney version - the little I remember of it. Apparently Mary is actually quite a cross Nanny. I was somewhat disappointed, more in the fact that there was very little actual story-line, just a series of unrelated short stories.
A Blade of Grass
This was a heavy read. It was obvious that the author has mastery of writing and of language: I can't deny that it was well-written in that sense. However, I can't say that I necessarily enjoyed the book: it was haunting and left me with a sense of deep sadness and hopelessness.
The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency
and
The Secret Life of Bees
I just really enjoyed these books. They were fun, did not paint over sadness, and yet were written with a lens of hope. My summer favourites so far.
1 comment:
The book that reminded you of Chick-flick, the genre is actually called "chick-lit". (I learned that at the church librarians night at a local book store.) It sounds like the little pieces of gum you used to be able to get when Trick or Treating.
Post a Comment