Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Mildly Awkward

I was walking downtown last evening, waiting for a light to change so that I could cross the street. Another pedestrian eyed my belly, and decided to strike up a conversation.
"You must be due any day," he said.
"Yeah, it's getting there," I replied with a smile (it hasn't been the first time people have thought so in the last few weeks). "I'm due at the end of August: a little less than two months to go."
"Wow. You're never going to make it," he predicted.
"It's hard to say; I was a week overdue with my last one."
"Oh, so it's your second?"
"No, it's my third."
He looked surprised, and then: "Well, what's your second favourite activity, then?"
"{Speechless}" {My thought: Hurry up and change, light}

2 comments:

Kate said...

Doesn't help that you look like you're 16 years old! ;)

JvO said...

Yeah.... I'm getting to be about done with conversations about my pregnancy! From being told how much weight I've gained (no, not in reference to my belly), to the fact that I still have AGES to go before my due date (Hey, I'm past 3/4 of the way now - *I* think it's getting pretty close!), to the fact that, no, it's definitely NOT a girl, not the way YOU'RE carrying, etc etc etc. Can people not just say, "Congratulations!" or "Good luck!"?! :P

(I did have an absolute stranger tell me that I must have been "bitten by the one-eyed snake". Um. awkward.)