I chose some of her dishes, her good set.
For my grandparents, this was a set of dishes that had been sought after - hard. Some were given as a wedding gift to them. Some were bought, piece by piece each year with the few extra dollars they had been able to save up for that year. They were used and stored with pride and care. It was their way of saying, "Look, we've done well."
Naturally, being in high school, I had no use for a set of dishes, "good" or otherwise, and so they were packed in a box until I "grew up" and could put them to better use.
Somewhere along the line - I am not exactly sure where - apparently I grew up. I even have lots of "grown up" things: a husband, children, a mortgage, a kitchen to call my own. I moved a dozen-ish times "somewhere along the line" time frame. The [heavy] box, with "Oma B's Dishes" written neatly on the top corner followed me on some (but not all) of the moves. It was patiently waiting for me to unpack it and find it a good and useful spot, in my always-imagined but never-owned hutch that could hold them for those special occasions when "good dishes" are required.
Some time ago I came to the realization that I will never have use for these rose-budded, gold-lined bone china dishes. The logistics and practicality of unpacking them and storing them and finding space for them - kitchen space and otherwise - is just not a priority. Many are cracked, chipped, stained, scratched, the gold-edges coming off.
This knowledge has saddened me. Not because of the sentimental value of my Oma's dishes - I have plenty of memories of her and my Opa without needing the dishes. What saddens me is the sacrifice and penny-pinching that she and so many of her generation did over the years to purchase these dishes. How many children were spanked or belittled for chipping a dish? How much time was put into collecting this "stuff."
And now:
Nobody - not even her granddaughters - want them? Her pinnacle of success would be hard done by to get $10 at the local thrift shop.
I cannot help but think of the verse in Matthew that tells us not to store up for ourselves treasure on earth. For truly...what is the point?
And I cannot help but wonder: what is the "Oma B's Dishes" in my life?

4 comments:
Well done Becky Boo Very thought provoking Just take the ten dollars and run. The spankings have been delt with. Should we save our good dishes for you. You might get twenty dollars for them.:-)
Sad! I know I have Grandma's old hutch, that she used to put her fine china in, which was desecrated by a big, fat rat! She was not welcome (pretty sure she was fat with babies...) and eliminated her quickly!
If there are a couple nice pieces, you could save them. I have been collecting mismatched china cups and saucers from different events and people as they touch me as a special memory so that maybe as my kids get older, we can have tea or hot chocolate in them together.
I should check if they match any of the stuff that my mom uses at the B & B. She is always on the look out for missing pieces!
Thanks for making us think about our "stuff"!
such an excellent post - always love reading your thoughts. You're amazing Bec. Missing you!
Post a Comment