Saturday, May 27, 2006

A Thought

I just finished The Lord of the Rings, which I have been reading over the last few weeks. I thoroughly enjoyed it the first time I read it, and I enjoyed it just as much the second time, albeit on a slightly different level. I found that the first time I read it for the contents of the story, whereas this time around I was able to understand and notice a few more of the details and imagery (although I’m quite sure it will take a few more reads to get as much as I should out of it). There was a really great quotation that made me reflect on what our roles as Christians should be.
“It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.”
It is a statement both of the magnitude and the limitations of our task.

5 comments:

Jono and Janice said...

Great quote. I haven't read the "LOTR" but would like to someday.
koxnfdd

John Vroegryk said...

“It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.”

Interesting Quote; however, do we have it in us to apply such wisdom (in the form of support and assistance) or do we merely think we understand it, while following blindly in the opposite direction and take no action?!?

Rebecca and Rod, Please don’t be silent, we all have to work together to “uproot this evil in the fields that we know” , all you have to do is look in the dying eyes of a young child being tortured and killed by antagonists of Jesus Christ.

Please, Please, Please don’t look the other way

All the best ! from John & Ria

JvO said...

:) Thanks for the quote. I like reading your blog, but I'd like even more to know which one of you is posting each time...

Rod and Bec said...

The last three entries have been from me. The one about cars Rod wrote, believe it or not!
We'll try to sign them more ofthen Jenny!
Bec

Rachel said...

i love the quote! and i agree with Jenny :) - though USUALLY you can guess as to who the writer is... though i'm quite surprised to hear the car one was by Rod... ;). love you both!

Rachel