Today was a pretty exciting day for us. Because this was our first two-day weekend in quite a while, and because we are leaving Japan soon, we decided to do some things that we had been meaning to do for a while.

One of the things that we had been meaning to do was to take the Shinkansen (bullet train). Now for those of you who don't know, the Shinkansen is a Japanese favorite mode of transportation... described by some as "the only way to fly". Although nearly as expensive as an airplane ticket (when there are distances that compare), and not quite as fast (depending on location), it is undeniably more comfortable and convenient than an airplane (look mom, no turbulence!). There is loads of leg room, comfortable seats, a drink and food cart, and a ride that is mythically smooth and fast (it nears 300 km/h). Our short ride of 20 minutes was a great experience as we watched the world fly past. In comparison, it took us an hour and a half to travel the same distance back to Himeji on the stinky and crowded local train.
Bec was tickled by the comfort and speed of the Shinkansen.
On our arrival to Okayama, we made our way to U-jo (Crow Castle, so named because of its black colour, as opposed to our own beloved castle, the White Egret Castle) U-jo was origianlly built in 1573, but was destroyed in 1945 (along with much of the rest of the city), although it was rebuilt shortly after. Inside was a museum of samurai memorabilia.

Much to my delight, there was also opportunity to dress in traditional costumes.
After I reluctantly took off my kimono, we made our way to Koraku-en Garden, one of the top three gardens in Japan. It truly was a beautiful park to stroll through and relax in, which we did for several hours. The picture of the castle (above) was taken from those gardens.
7 comments:
hot, hot, hot! :) - love the pictures of you guys in your kimonos! Sounds like you had a great weekend... now hurry back to Canada!! There may be some turbulence, unlike the bullet train... but I promise you, it will be worth the ride!
Riding the Shinkansen is super cool. I did it my first week in Japan (twice-- once was paid by my company, the other time I just took it cause it took me directly to Kyoto-- I didn't want to get lost!)
How fun it looks, but Rod - I think your skirt is too short... =D
I'll have you know Dawn, that it wasn't a skirt, there were definitely two legs, so I guess that makes them baggy shorts ;)
-Rod
Ya right, I'd need a strong gust of wind to prove that to me - skirt boy! ;-)
I will say this - that if you were here when we got all that rain... I don't think you'd have to worry about getting your (hem) cuffs wet!
You'd probably give Glen a run for his money in his 'hot pants' though. What do you say about having a "gorgeous leg" contest between you and Glen when you get back?
What do you think Bec? Do you think you could handle seeing Glen in his hot pants and have an unbiased opinion?
Ya me neither - my husband and his kilt would win hands down!!!! =D
cuuute.
Sounds like you guys are fitting in a lot before you leave - looks very interesting and fun :) Hope you have a safe trip back.
Post a Comment