Thursday, June 29, 2006

Uninvited Guest

I spent the second half of my last lesson last night looking forward to going home, refilling my empty belly, and taking off my annoying nylons. (I mean….I was fully involved and interested in my lesson at all times!) I raced home, only to be hit by a wave of hot, humid and still air. I went to turn on the fan, only to be greeted by a cockroach as big as my index finger. I’ve met my fair share of cockroaches; they were pretty much an unquestioned part of life in PNG; they weren’t enjoyed, but weren’t anything that elicited much of a reaction either. But, in the umpteen of the quick little creatures that I’ve killed in my life, none of them were as big as my index finger! It’s a scary thing to be face to face with a two inch cockroach. And so, I grabbed a shoe, lined myself up to take the smack - knowing I only had one chance- swung….and missed! He scurried away – amazingly quickly for his size – to a corner, and, when I tried again, he scurried to the other corner - the one where our collection of cords lives…impossible to get at. I stood guard, shoe in hand, in the chance that he would try to escape. I was greatly relieved when Rod came home...a hero to save the day. He bravely took a sandal and chased it out of its haven.
I may or may not have stood on the chair. And I may or may not have squealed like a pig about to be slaughtered.
Fortunately, this time Rod was the winner. But I still had the creepy-crawlies all night.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

yay for Rod being the hero! hehe to invisioning you standing on a chair squealing! yup - i'm laughing :). I'm with you on the grossness factor though - i hate things that are creepy and crawly - most especially ones of that size!

Anonymous said...

Yea for one less cochroach in the world!!! Good for you! Keep it up!