I started my third placement this week, at the same school as both my other practicums, which can only mean there are more stories to come. I’m in the intermediate wing, with grade 7: not so much because it interests me as because it scares me (not in general, but at this schoool specifically). Again, the placement brings up all sorts of educational issues: in a class of 22, 13 of which are on individual education plans, why is there no support? How and why can you make it to grade 7 without being able to read? Is the responsibility to teach the grade level students when you know some are falling through the cracks, or help the students who need it most?
I have mostly been observing and helping in small groups, although I start the health unit tomorrow. The good news is that I don’t have to teach sex ed. like I first thought; the flip side to that is that I teach about drugs instead (and, if I’m honest, most of the kids know more about them than I do).
So far I have been told I’m “small” by one of the students, I’ve given my first detention, and been looked at as if I’m some kind of contagious disease.
2 comments:
i can only IMAGINE the miles of difference between your grade seven students and ours.
(and not just in actuality :)
I know you'll do a great job! And I'm impressed with your ability to give detention. they'll learn a lot from you - and definitely not just the curriculum.
you've got heart for the lost ones and that's what the schools need!!
don't ever let them take away your smile.
Bec!
Thanks for updating! Teaching about drugs! Crazy! I can't imagine you talking about that subject with these grade 7s who are taller than you! And detention...wow. I'm impressed!
How come you're doing grade 7? Isn't that outside the realm of P/J?
Miss you, girlie! One day we'll get together again for dinner...
Jen
xxx
Post a Comment